How Steel Fabrication Can Give A Good Quality Finish To A Product
Steel is the sturdiest material of all. That is why probably, the demand of steel is more than any other metal. Be it in factories or be it in homes, steel always plays the biggest role in building all the major equipment, as well as the small utensils. In fact, steel fabrication also has the power that gives the perfect finish to any product. So, whenever it comes to installation, the most preferred material becomes steel. The most important quality of steel is that, though the material is strong and sturdy enough, yet it can be bent, folded, machined and welded. So, if you are thinking of getting steel fabrication, here are the two major type of fabrication that are generally used in any industry. Take a look.
Work hardening is the process of to strengthen steel by the process of deformation. In comparison to other varieties of steel, stainless steel work hardens quickly. However, this depends on the specific grade of the alloy. For example, the austenitic type stainless steel hardens slightly higher than that of carbon steel .That explains why it is frequently used grade series in the fabrication processes.
Work hardening treatment is well suited for steel grade. In the case of austenitic type stainless steel, it needs to be treated with cold working. For the rest of the treatment of other grades, thermal treatment process would be better.
Benefits of Work Hardening
- It provides high strength and corrosion free quality of steel
- It provides magnetism in stainless steel
- It can go for greater deformation with slower forming speed
It comes with the addition of the manganese sulfide. These grades have limited machining application. Exclusive steel melting techniques are now developed these days to improve the machinability of mostly used austenitic type stainless steel. Here are the steps that are generally followed in the process.
- Applying coolant and lubricants on the equipment
- Using large tool to dissipating heat
- Maintenance of light cuts and constant feeds
- Using chip breakers to deflect debris
- Selecting machine tool to reduce vibration
- Keeping it cutting edge sharp through the whole process
How the finish works
- If you are about to restore the hairline finish, use elastic flap disc to remove the weld. Then pregrind with the angle grinder. Remove the scratches easily with a linear grinder. And then, you can build up the hairline finish. Choose the linear grinder with hollow core, side on abrasive as this is cost effective and a fast process.
- Mirror or high gloss finish calls for a lot of work. An abrasive cloth with the grit arranged in a pyramid structure can provide aggressive grinding. It produces a fine surface finish on stainless steel. For the next step, you will need to polish the surface with a gentler abrasive used with a polishing paste or cream.
- It is important to maximize finishing efficiency to get the full impact of the fabrication. Keep the work area clean so that no grain or leftover can spoil the whole surface of work piece. Trust the weight of the machine to apply pressure. It will reduce the grinding temperature. Use micro fiber cloth to clean the surface every time.
- Corner welds are most awkward to finish. Highly compressed fleece disk are specifically made for fillet and corner weld. It provides a long surface life.
If you are a professional, then I am sure these processes will be enough to help you during your initial days of welding profession in Steel Fabrication Melbourne. Moreover, as everyone is looking for a flawless and most shiny finish, you will be able to deliver according to their expectation. These are the basic steps that are generally followed in light steel fabrication Melbourne. So, I am sure that these steps will be quite helpful for you. And of course, there is always a chance to improvise. Author Bio
Author Bio: Travis James is involved with Steel Fabrication Melbourne. He has immense knowledge of Light Steel Fabrication Melbourne too.